How do you edge find with your hole popper?

Thread: How do you edge find with your hole popper?

vfsi

Default How do you edge find with your hole popper?

I have a new to me High Speed EDM Drill. It has the edge detection feature, but the tubes are not very straight. I have a hard time determining a radius for the out of round tubing to use as the offset.

Am I looking at this wrong? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Top EDM cnc Popper so I might be a little off from your machine.

First, Make sure that the guides that you are using are the right size and are not worn out. That will cause problems with edge/corner/center pick up. If your tubes are slightly bent the guides should keep it straight going into the part.

For most of the work that I do I pick up a Zero corner. I have to execute a G73 program(corner find) in MDI mode which is

G73 X(-+) Y(-+) Z-.050(Extends the electrode down .050 from the top of the part) R.(radius of electrode)

When the program is complete I store the point (G54)

Sound clear as mud?

vfsi

I have the zero corner and all that figured out. It is the actual edge detection details that I think should be clearer in my mind.

My issue is the electrode is not round (straight) regardless how close to the guide I set the work piece. So when I rotate the electrode and touch off on the part it makes contact intermittently.

Question is:

Do I take the position of the edge as the first touch? Then what is the out of round measurement of the electrode?

or

Do I continue to feed into the part until the electrode touches 360? Then would it be the actual diameter of the electrode.

The Wire EDM is easy to edge find the driller, not so much.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you put a gage block in and touch 1st side zero it out then go touch other side should tell you what the runout is altough i dodn't think you should have much runout if the guide is good